Payment Operations is at the core of Gusto’s business. The Payments Team is a key stakeholder in company decisions and operations. We currently process +$20bn of payroll annually, and with your help, we can continue scaling accurately and sustainably. We are a small, close, fun group that works hard and laughs a lot. No egos here — we collaborate and help each other out in a positive environment.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Become an expert in Payments. Develop a strong understanding of all aspects of a payment transaction, from architecture, execution, reconciliations, and error resolution.
- Be a payments hero. You will serve as an additional line of defense to catch and prevent payments errors.
- Solve puzzles. Resolve payment, accounting and tax issues by managing Gusto’s operational payment systems.
- Be a thought partner. Work directly with our FinTech product and engineering teams to implement new scalable processes and features.
- You’re the go-to Gustie. Cooperate with internal teams from across the company to expertly field, diagnose and resolve payment related questions.
- Work with our Business teams. Collaborate directly with our accounting team to support Gusto’s financial reporting and audits.
- Monay, monay, monay! Support Gusto cash reconciliations with any payment related exceptions.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Extreme willingness to learn. You will learn how our tax engine, payment flows and payroll processes work in conjunction with each other.
- Natural curiosity and attention to detail. If something seems off, you want to figure out what’s going on and, more importantly, why and how to solve it.
- Get-it-done attitude. Tenacity to drive a complex investigation of an issue to completion. You love to get deep into the weeds to find the answer.
- Self-starter mentality. Comfortable working in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment with the capacity to thrive under ambiguity.
- Flexibility. The willingness to adapt quickly to tackle various ad-hoc problems that might arise.
- Communication. The ability to explain payments issues in a simple, clear and concise manner. Trust us, it’s complicated.
- Background. 1-2 years of relevant experience in a professional role (finance, operations, or risk preferred)
- Technical skill. Knowledge of SQL and/or a willingness to learn.
Bonus points for:
- Experience working in a payroll, payments, or financial services company.
- Previous experience working in a fast-growing startup environment.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 40,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.